A Great Podcast Client for the Modern Free Desktop
Vocal is the best way to find interesting new podcasts, maintain a growing library, and enjoy audio and video shows that automatically get updated with new content.
- Audio and video podcast support
- Built-in iTunes podcast store browsing and search
- Episode streaming and downloading
- Custom skip intervals
- Full system integration
- Automatic downloads
- Smart library management
- Playback position saving
- Library importing and exporting
- Internet Archive integration
- ... and much more!
Get it for $5 on AppCenter
Get Vocal and more on elementary AppCenter, the open, pay-what-you-can app store for indie developers. Every app is open source and has been reviewed and curated by elementary to ensure a native, privacy-respecting, and secure experience.
Note: This app is only available for elementary OS 5.1 Hera. If you’re on elementary OS 6 Odin, it will not appear in AppCenter. You can reach out to the developer and ask that they update it for OS 6.
2.4.1 – May 13, 2019
This is a small point release that includes a fix for the progress bar, which in version 2.4.0 had an issue where only the left half of the progress bar could be used for seeking.
2.4 – Apr 10, 2019
This release is packed to the gills with new features and stability enhancements! A first for any podcast app, you can now submit Creative Commons licensed podcast episodes to the Internet Archive directly from within Vocal. Many other requested changes and quality of life improvments can also be found, such as chronological feeds and a new theme switcher. The full changelog is as follows:
- You can now switch between 'light' and 'dark' modes using the option in the gear menu
- Built-in Internet Archive episode uploads (for Creative Commons licensed feeds)
- Better search results
- Scrolling while hovering over the seekbar now seeks through the current episode
- Support for Atom podcast feeds
- Dramatically improved episode browsing (can now list both reverse-chronological or chronological - your choice)
- New and updated translations throughout many languages
- Lots of stability and performance enhancements under the hood
2.3 – Nov 4, 2018
Vocal's first release for elementary OS Juno!
- Added new in-app volume controls
- Dramatic improvements to the new episode count badges
- Improved the search view to make it clear when Vocal is loading results from iTunes
- Podcasts licensed as Creative Commons now display a Creative Commons logo
- Improved look and feel throughout the app
- New episodes are now sorted by release date rather than just their position in the RSS feed (most users will not notice a difference as this was an edge-case)
- Fixed navigation issues that could cause new users to get stuck during the setup process
- Fixed several issues with the new episodes view button either being visible when it should not be, or not being visible when it should
- Database handling and performance improvements
- General stability improvements
2.2 – Apr 22, 2018
This update features a metric ton of bug fixes and stability improvements, as well as a brand new way to see all your new episodes at a glance.
- Fixed the infamous "freeze on launch" bug which prevented some users from accessing their library.
- Added a New Episode view to see all the unplayed episodes in your library at once.
- Fixed an annoyance where Vocal would sometimes re-download an episode that had already been downloaded.
- Performance and stability improvements with checking for new episodes.
- Improved performance of the iTunes podcast directory (specifically related to the loading of hi res images).
- Improved logging and debugging support.
- Many other small performance and stability enhancements.
2.1 – Dec 30, 2017
Grab some hot chocolate and curl up with a nice podcast this winter season, it's time for a new Vocal release! This time around, enjoy a ton of stability and performance enhancements, full HiDPI support, and other bug fixes to make your experience as enjoyable as possible.
- Added HiDPI support for all images so everything looks nice and sharp no matter how fancy your display is.
- Fixed an issue where Vocal would not show you the time elapsed or remaining in an episode immediately after relaunching the app.
- Reduced the animation time for switching between different views so that it feels extra snappy.
- Gave the search results view a shave and a haircut. Two bits.
- Fixed a few issues where Vocal would be grouchy about showing certain episode descriptions.
- When importing several podcasts the progress bar now stays one size so you can actually judge the progress correctly.
- You can now drag and drop items in the play queue to rearrange their order.
- Lots more checking to make sure that things exist so it won't crash nearly as much (hopefully never).
2.0 – Apr 28, 2017
Vocal's most exciting release yet, featuring full iTunes directory and search support, improved performance, a redesigned podcast view, and tons of other great improvements.